Shipment Document Printing Tools That Keep the Shipping Lines Moving Fast
Previous ROI tips have focused on multi-carrier shipping software systems that optimize for routing and rating. But you can also significantly save time and reduce costs by automating the entire shipment document printing process. It’s possible with the right shipping system.
Shippers have worked hard to eliminate manual document preparation but it’s still common for many companies to hold up a shipment, even for a few minutes, to manually create documents and labels such as commercial invoices, certificates of origin, haz mat labels, etc. These interruptions add up to significant labor costs and slow down the shipping line.
By stepping back and taking a bird’s eye view of your shipping workflow, you can quickly see how many times your staff stops to:
- Print, fold and insert the packing list into a pouch.
- Manually create international shipments manually using a template or standalone software.
- Retrieve hazmat documents from another system.
- Manually key USPS Customs documents for international shipments.
How Smart Document Printing Technology Speeds Up Shipment Processing
Today’s multi-carrier shipping software systems, integrated with host order entry, WMS systems and smart printing technology, can eliminate most manual document preparation.
For example, ask your shipping system vendor to help you automate with the following documents.
- A Zebra Z-slip, an all-in-one packing slip, configured to work with your order fulfillment software. Many companies have taken advantage of this time-saving option. For an example of how this works, watch our Zebra Z-Slip video.
- A fold-under combination pack/ship label, auto-generated by your shipping system is a great time saver.
- A system-generated USPS CN22 form to replace the keying or manual filling out of USPS Customs forms for international USPS shipments.
- Hazmat labels can also be generated by your shipping system, if you integrate it to receive product information from your order entry system and apply business rules to flag the order as HazMat.
- Export shipping documents can also be auto-generated in seconds, if you invest the time to integrate your shipping system with your order entry and inventory systems and build in business rules to trigger the right documents for the right customer/country.
Do the Labor Savings Add Up? YES!
GYRUS OLYMPUS CASE STUDY: This medical equipment company reduced export document preparation time by 80% and freed up their international staff to focus on other important tasks.
ANOTHER LOGISTYX CLIENT freed up the equivalent of one full-time FTE in warehouse operations after automating packing list/shipping list printing.
Other Cost-Saving Benefits
- Reduction of shipping errors. A system generated document process practically eliminates keying errors – which can translate into thousands of dollars on returns, rush shipments, lost business and more.
- Detailed shipment tracking. By adding barcode scanning to automatically capture product line items as they are packed and shipped, you gain a verifiable audit trail of every step in the fulfillment process.
- Scalable solution to handle growing shipping volumes. Once your system is configured to auto-generate documents, you’re in a better position to increase throughput without adding seasonal labor.
Contact Us Today
Our logistics specialists have companies of all sizes configure their shipping system for automatic document preparation – for e-commerce fulfillment and traditional shipping operations. Please contact us today to arrange a consultation and demonstrations of our document generation solutions in action.